Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mushroom/Onion Soup



onion
garlic
mushrooms



Slice the onions (I used 1 HUGE onion), saute with olive oil and garlic (a few cloves). Make sure to cook the onions well. Too little sauteeing equals almost crunchy soup.




Chop mushrooms. I used baby portabello and white button. Pictured below isn't even half of what went in the pot. Probably a pound and a half total. I bought the mushrooms at Costco and they come in about 24 oz containers I think. Over half of each kind went in.




Add mushrooms to onion and garlic and cook until you just want to eat it all right now.




Now for the soup part. I use beef base. 4 tbs for 1 quartish of water (or there abouts). You can use beef bouillion or beef stock. The beef base stinks but ends up making everything taste great.




Let cook. If you use a crock pot, low 5-6 hours. On the stove top, maybe an hour. It does need some time to let all the flavors come together completely.




I have found having a good ciabatta bread sliced or diced in the freezer makes croutons and crisps dang easy. Top slices with provolone cheese. Pop in oven at 400 degrees and bake until cheese starts to bubble and brown.





This is an amazing soup. Hearty and with a very meaty, toothsome quality that I love. I didn't even miss chunks or slabs of meat. The mushrooms give a great texture. Hubby thinks it tastes like French Onion Soup with mushrooms. Sonny thinks it much better than French Onion Soup. I just love it.






(The recipe this came from is as follows: 2 tbl olive oil, 2 large vidalia onions chopped, 1 pack each-10 oz each- cremini and button mushrooms, salt and pepper, 2 tbl butter, 6-10 cloves garlic chopped, 2 tbl sherry, 4 c beef stock)
(original recipe from Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment